To stand up to the exploding corporate influence in our political system by organizing and amplifying the voices of those who believe that corporations have too much power, and by promoting solutions that ensure individual rights and democratic principles are upheld to the highest standards, even in the face of the lawless Citizens United Supreme Court decision.
Taking Back Our Democracy
Progressives United was founded by former Senator Russ Feingold in the wake of the disastrous Citizens United Supreme Court decision. Not since the Gilded Age have the scales of power in America been so tipped in favor of big-money corporate interests. And never has there been such an urgent need for a grassroots movement to counteract that power.
Progressives United will also work to educate the public about the corrupting effects of the corporate dominance of our political system. We will call out corporations, CEOs, lawmakers, and the media when they exploit their power to act against the best interests of the American public. We will work to show how money flows through the political system, who is giving, who is benefitting, and what that money is buying.
Russ Feingold founded Progressives United (a 501(c)(4) non-profit corporation) to focus on opposing corporate dominance. To ensure that we remain free from corporate and special interest influence, we will operate under the following self-imposed restrictions.
- Progressives United Inc. will disclose 100 percent of its income.
- Progressives United Inc. will not knowingly accept any money from corporations, national banks, labor unions, federal contractors, or federal or state lobbyists.
- Progressives United Inc. will not make any independent expenditures, engage in electioneering, or run phony “issue ads.”
- Progressives United Inc. and Progressives United Political Action Committee are separate and distinct legal entities. While the organizations will share staff and resources, each will be financed and fundraise separately and the activities in which they engage will also be separate. Public education and advocacy activities will be undertaken and paid for by Progressives United Inc., the section 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization. Political activities will be undertaken and paid for by Progressives United PAC, a nonconnected federal political action committee registered with the FEC.
- On August 1 of congressional and presidential election years, all non-administrative operations will be conducted and financed through Progressives United Political Action Committee.
- Progressives United Inc. (the 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization) will only accept individual contributions up to $10,000 per individual, per year.
There are no dues or contributions required to be part of our movement, all you need to do is sign up.